4.30.2013

Folded (Unfolded) Unfolding

"If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she's late? Nobody." - JD Salinger (Real Simple Magazine/2001)

Life this past week has been...interesting, to say the least! Lots of big changes for me on so many levels. At a time when I feel like I've come so far professionally and personally, life always manages to throw a  curve ball, making you re-visit and re-learn everything you thought you knew about yourself. I've had the song Colorblind by the Counting Crows on repeat for the past week - the lyric "I am folded/and unfolded/and unfolding" seems to describe my state very accurately! (Fun fact - I saw Counting Crows open for Maroon5 when I was 17 years old and had no idea who they were. After dating Jeff, a big fan, I now know their music by heart and regret not paying more attention when I saw them from five feet away!)

Anyways, I'm becoming a bit obsessed with Instagram, (and my iPhone in general) for allowing me to capture more candid moments in my life. I love having a timeline of memories on a day to day basis that I may not remember otherwise. I find it sweet and peaceful to look back on my week in pictures and remember the happy, funny and cute moments that happened.


1 - I made some frivolous makeup purchases this week! Kate Moss (my favorite model, I would die for her natural cat eye among other things) came out with a new line of lipstick from Rimmel this year and I finally found it at a Shoppers downtown. Naturally I bought three shades.


I also purchased the Benefit "Boing" concealer, my favorite brand specifically for their packaging.


2 - Last Saturday I threw a princess themed Birthday party for one of my girlfriends! Strawberry shortcake cupcakes, pixie sticks, and "pin the diamonds on the Barbie" all included!



3 - Nothing makes me happier then colours that pop. The first picture is a pot my mom painted in her crafty days. I get a lot of my inspiration from her. I've been debating getting these flowers tattooed for awhile now, but I can't decide how I feel about tattoos with colour in them...

Second is my new haul of books! I'm lucky to have a godmother (and her best friend) who read atleast a book a week and then ship them off my way to pick through! I can't lie...sometimes I pick books specifically based on their pretty covers. I love them on my beside table (The one pictured above is The Blind Contessa's New Machine - Carey Wallace).


4 - I got to spend some quality time with my two best friends this weekend which was more needed then I can put into words. One just got back from Thailand and brought me back the sweetest (and shiniest...) travel mirror. She knows me well. She had lots of stories to tell and pictures to show. She travelled to Thailand to teach English for 6 months, then proceeded to go to Cambodia, Vietnam, and finish her trip visiting a friend in China!


My other best friend and I celebrated the beginning of her summer! Exams done, fancy dinner, followed by an old fashioned sleepover (blow up mattress in the living room, playing scratch cards and reading books..lots of giggling. The whole shebang!) We woke up the next morning and headed to the Ottawa Convention Centre for the Vintage Clothing Show. We go every year together and it's become a tradition I really look forward to. It was a great day.


5 - A little pick me up! I was feeling down so I picked up an adorable canvas (a bit damaged - or as I like to call it "pre-loved") from Winners on sale for only $14. I put it up in my makeup room so I can see it every morning. I love the idea of celebrating everything, big and small.


And my new desktop! I'm on my computer a lot and it's a nice reminder to choose to have a good day. Thanks to DesignLoveFest.





And with that...I'm off to Mexico for the week with my boyfriend and some friends! Our plane takes off tomorrow morning at 7AM. I am anxious but beyond excited for a week of relaxing, reading and taking in some sun. It's the perfect timing!


Sam
The (un)Organized Mind + Blog design by labinastudio.